Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oprah Winfrey in India! (Part-1)

American celebrity Oprah Winfrey is in India to attend the Jaipur Literature Festival.  "I came to India with an open mind and expanded heart", said the socialite.

Referring to her life experiences she said, "The fact that I was born in segregated southern US in Mississippi in 1954 to a teenaged unmarried mother, during the time of apartheid, has influenced me into becoming what I am.  Fortunately I have never been put into a segregated school.  But all my life I had to fight everyone, the shame and abuse and its lasting impact.  To be born a girl child is not safe," she said. 

Education is of paramount importance for Oprah and she has been helping thousands of poor and under privileged girls around the globe especially from Africa.   Oprah herself was raised by her grandmother.  Her grandmother's dream was to see her grand daughter to grow up to be  a respectable maid.    She would have had her moment of glory, had she been at the Jaipur Literature Festival where her grand daughter, Oprah, got a standing ovation as she walked in for a session.

0 comments:

Post a Comment